Sweet potato marshmallow is a very tasty sweet in many countries. These Sweet potatoes are native to South and Central America. It appears the first published recipe using sweet potatoes was in an American cookbook from 1796. It’s called “American Cookery.” The recipe is for “potatoes pudding” but it’s believed to be calling for sweet potatoes. There are definite sweet potato recipe examples by the 1820s.
- 4 pounds of red-skinned sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 tablespoons of butter
- 2/3 cup of packed golden brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 cups of miniature marshmallows
How to make
01.) Firstly preheat your oven to 350degrees F.
02.) Then melt the butter in a large saucepan.
03.) Then mix brown sugar and ½ cup of water under the heat.
04.) After mixed them properly, reduce the heat into the medium level and put it aside 10 minutes.
05.) Now take a large bowl of water to a boil and peel potatoes and cut them into lengthwise.
06.) Then make long quarters and cut them into 1-inch pieces. Now boil the potatoes until they provide a bit when poked with a fork.
07.) Then drain the potatoes and arrange in a single layer in a buttered 3-quart baking dish. After that pour the syrup on top and making sure it covers potatoes.
08.) After that remove from the oven, discard lemon slices and stir in pecans. Then turn the oven up to 400 degrees F,
09.) Now put the dish back in the oven and cook until marshmallows puff and became brown colour.
- Canned marshmallows and sweet potatoes a few pantry items make this an easy side dish to throw together.
- If the marshmallows became brown colour more quickly, cover the baking dish with foil for last 10 minutes of baking time. The shiny nature of foil deflects the heat, slowing down the overall browning of ingredients that are high in fat or sugar.
- Use 1 1/2 cups of mini marshmallows so there is no any issue everyone will get their fair share of the golden, gooey topping. Sprinkle mini marshmallows to cover potatoes and bake. Keep an eye on them so they don’t turn into brown colour too quickly.
- Calories: 220
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 4g
- Sodium: 250mg
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Dietary fiber: 4g
There are a number of sweets in the market. But the nutritional level and the clearance of the ingredients are various. We cannot guarantee them. If we can prepare something in our kitchen, I can guarantee all the things. When we prepare something by our hands to eat, we never add any unnecessary ingredients or bad ingredients to it. So preparing something at our kitchen is the best thing. So try on this recipe and enjoy.