Preserve a pumpkin
Pumpkin is a vegetable which is widely grown for commercial use and is used both for food and recreation. Pumpkin is considered as pumpkins are frequently carved as jack-o’-lanterns for decoration around Halloween and a traditional part of Thanksgiving meals in the United States and Canada, although commercially canned pumpkin pie and pumpkin purée fillings are usually made from different kinds of winter squash than the ones used for jack-o’-lanterns.
It’s an unable that your pumpkins will eventually rot, but we’ve rounded up some tips on how to keep them fresh longer.
How long can you preserve a rotting pumpkin around?
First, make sure you buy your pumpkin from a local market. If you see any soft spots, the rotting process will start sooner rather than later. After you’ve found the perfect pumpkin, take these tips in mind.
- Clean the inside – Firstly get the pumpkin and wash it properly. Since they’re moist, any bit of exposed pumpkin guts will start to go mouldy very quickly. You have to wash pumpkin using water properly. It will be the main requirement to preserve a pumpkin.
- After you carve it, Give it a bleach-water bath – The bleach plays again, giving it a good cleansing. Submerge your creation in a bucket filled with water and 2/3 cup of bleach. For up to 24 hours, leave the pumpkin there to soak.
- Apply petroleum jelly – As an extra layer of protection, apply Vaseline on the carved edges. This will keep them moisturized and prevent the edges from drying out too fast. If you have Vaseline, it’s better. If you don’t have Vaseline, vegetable oil or WD-40 works too.
- Rehydrate the pumpkin daily – Pumpkins shrivel up due to they run out of moisture. Spraying it every day with a few drops of bleach and water mixture will help to preserve a pumpkin that is too moist and ward off bacteria. As an even easier solution, spray it with Pumpkin Fresh daily to fight off mould.
- Store it in the fridge overnight – To preserve a pumpkin, you have to store it in the refrigerator overnight. Now put it in a plastic bag in your refrigerator.
- Give it an ice bath – If you see your pumpkin starting to wilt, give it an ice bath overnight for some serious rehydration. Once you take it out, dry it thoroughly to prevent mould growth.
- Don’t use real candles to light it – Using candles inside your carved pumpkins can have a negative effect on them as the heat is essentially cooking the pumpkin. Try using flickering flameless candles or glow sticks instead.
- Display it at a stable temperature – Avoid leaving your pumpkin outside during freezing temperatures.
- Don’t carve it – An untouched pumpkin will stay fresher for a longer period of time compared to a carved one.
There are many ways that you can try to learn how to Preserve a pumpkin. However, Fresh vegetables are the most suitable to eat also for a healthy life. Decorating your meals table using pumpkin and other vegetables is very interesting. It will definitely be a reason for eating happily.
You can see many recipes about fresh vegetables through the following link. https://www.mealsweb.com/how-to-prepare-fresh-beetroot/ https://www.mealsweb.com/vegetables-for-christmas-dinner/